10 November 2010

I will not live in fear


Here are the prayer, poetry, words of Dawna Markova

I will not die an unlived life
I will not live in fear
Of falling or catching fire
I choose to inhabit my days
To allow my living to open me
To make me less afraid
More accessible
To loosen my heart
Until it becomes a wing
A torch, a promise
I choose to risk my significance
To live so that which came to me as seed
Goes to the next as blossom
As which came to me as blossom
Goes on as fruit.

This poem gives me courage today to do my part on the borderlands. I look forward to returning to my home of Casas Grandes next week to help with a new conservation education project at El Uno, the Bison conservation ranch near Janos and in the beautiful dunes and water hole of Salamayuca south of Juarez. I don't have time to be afraid. There is work to do and hope to inspire for the children and communities there. Bison, praire dogs, prong hong, some of the most beautiful grasslands left in the Americas; what to do with all that plastic trash; and help women in their communities learn how to recycle; and inspire generations to value stewardship of the land.

A portrait of Indian Ju; We met on the Cabalgata Villista 3 years ago. He is married to a Mexicana from Zaragosa and lives and works in Alburqurque, NM. He is of Apache descent.


No comments: