13 November 2008

YAY WE WIN! Photogeekin with Obamalandia



Photo of photogeek Chip Thomasthis past summer.


Home at the foot of the sacred mountain kissed with snow. I have made the migration north to my mountain,my canyons
and the sacred land. It is so wonderfully strange to be in my Mexican world of Casas Grandes and read the Book of the HOPI.
I read in bed with my headlamp as there is no electricity in that part of the Casa Azul. It is just like camping. The crickets and
the barking dogs waft in through the screened in windows; I travel through the four worlds of myth and legends; I travel back
to the confluence of the Colorado River and remember the place of emergence and the sacred salt mine I remember seeing when I was a. I remember the canyon walls red, and rain growing over this land; chasing rainbows with my brother, and driving into rainstorms when we'd travel with our dad across the rez, the smell of rain and earth in summertime down pours.

Coming across the border this time I can feel the climate has changed in my country with the election of Obama. It is a new day, a new time and there is still a lot of work to do. It is amazing and exciting to see my country come alive again and be inspired by HOPE. A Letter to Obama from Alice Walker

For something you've never seen before check out Obama's photostream at flickr.com. It's a whole new era in photogeeking with the new Pres!

The world seems more connected and small. On election night I watched TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD. it was very much for our times now. I had never read or seen the movie. In the DVD commentary which I highly encourage everyone to SEE. In the DVD extras actor Gregory Peck spoke so eloquently of his role and the importance of this book. I realized how what was then still offers a window into our present time. I felt Adicus Finich, as a man,father, reflects something of what I feel is what personified in Obama and the kind of man who protects his family as his community and vice versa.

He quoted Winston Churchill:
"We have surmounted all the perils and endured all the agonies of the past. We shall provide against and thus prevail over the dangers and problems of the future, withhold no sacrifice, grudge no toil, seek no sordid gain, fear no foe. All will be well. We have, I believe, within us the life-strength and guiding light by which the tormented world around us may find the harbour of safety, after a storm-beaten voyage." —Chateau Laurier, Ottawa, 9 November 1954

No comments: