15 November 2008

The Big Read and a little Dance poem


Reading. I love to read and look at books. It's my favorite past time no matter where I am or where I go I am always carrying at least ten books, copies of articles,magazines, picture books, poetry books, journals and writing. I love to start my day with coffee in bed and open a book and write in my journal. There is just not enough time in the day to read and absorb everything I want to learn it seems. Yesterday my dad gave me a set of his old Frank Waters books about the Hopis and the southwestern cultures. They have the patina of beautiful worn covers and pages.He got them before I was born. Before he was a marine in Trinidad where he would fall in love and get married to my mom. More than forty years later he pulls them from a shelf and sets them before me. A karin of knowledge beckoning me to dip into my mind into the pools of perception. I open the pages; a Scarlet Ibis feather falls out of the the book Talking Gods. Words wait patiently.

Interesting things to read that make you go hmmmmm.
neabigread.org
http://freewillastrology.com/

AT THIS PARTY by HAFIZ

I don't want to be the only one here
Telling all the secrets --

Filling up all the bowls at this party,
Taking all the laughs.

I would like you
To start putting things on the table
That can also feed the soul
The way I do.

That way
We can invite

A hell of a lot more
Friends.



Late in the night I read the poem Dkish sent me, here's to dancing with you on the page, in a reflection, in memory,
laughing in a dream hoping to meet again and DANCE the way we did last summer!

Cast All Your Votes for Dancing

I know the voice of depression
Still calls to you.

I know those habits that can ruin your life
Still send their invitations.

But you are with the Friend now
And look so much stronger.

You can stay that way
And even bloom!

Keep squeezing drops of the Sun
From your prayers and work and music
And from your companions' beautiful laughter.

Keep squeezing drops of the Sun
From the sacred hands and glance of your Beloved
And, my dear,
From the most insignificant movements
Of your own holy body.

Learn to recognize the counterfeit coins
That may buy you just a moment of pleasure,
But then drag you for days
Like a broken man
Behind a farting camel.

You are with the Friend now.
Learn what actions of yours delight Him,
What actions of yours bring freedom
And Love.

Whenever you say God's name, dear pilgrim,
My ears wish my head was missing
So they could finally kiss each other
And applaud all your nourishing wisdom!

O keep squeezing drops of the Sun
From your prayers and work and music
And from your companions' beautiful laughter

And from the most insignificant movements
Of your own holy body.

Now, sweet one,
Be wise.
Cast all your votes for Dancing!


Check out the Obama Dance Party in Seattle.
Don't Stop Believing!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qL-CgzQ0FY

4 comments:

thisrainykitten said...

I love your blog. It is late for me and I have a Thanksgiving dinner to start at 8 am, but I will be back.

thisrainykitten said...

Cast all your votes for Dancing....wow how beautiful. Was Haifz a contemporary of Rumi? There is mention of "the Friend" and I know Rumi refers to God as "the Beloved" or "the Friend". You really don't know how much that poem spoke to me. I am reading your pages, you write so well. I was a photography major in art school---I don't have many photos left, mostly all of my work was destroyed in a fire but I do have a few things and I will post them at some point soon. Your photography is beautiful. Is it large or medium format? Minor White is my favorite. I have lots of books, too----too many that I don't think I will be able to get to them all in this lifetime. I have a few near the bed a few near each end of the couch, a few on the coffee table, a few in my handbag, a few here in my studio, journals everywhere, visual and written...it's everywhere. It's weird, though, lately I find I am really impatient with my own handwriting. I am so used to a keyboard that writing seems slow and tedious. Pretty pathetic, yes indeed. Anyway, I am reading your stuff and I just really like your pages a lot. Lisa.

RAEchel Running said...

Hey Lisa, WoW, somebody actually is reading this. Nice to meet you in a virtual world and share the love of words and images. I do believe Haifz was a contemporary of Rumi and I love that God could be called the Beloved and/or the Friend. It was sent to me by my dear friends, past along as inspiration is meant to be shared : ) take heart that one of the great journal writers/photographers, Peter Beard lost so much of his work in a fire; but still he writes,creates, and creates. Check him out; also I've been reading up on Sally Mann recently. I think however you write is find; what I think is more important is to do it however you can,whenever you can; and be kind to yourself; you are you're own "friend" who awaits the meeting....

thanks so much for saying hello. I also think Flickr is a pretty inspiring place that may get you refired up again!

All my best to you from AZ. heading back to Mexico next week!!! here's to Beauty and sharing!

best. RAEch

thisrainykitten said...

Hey Rachel, yes, somebody is reading your beautiful pages. I closed down my page, no one was really looking at my art, or making any comments. But I have your page bookmarked. We will meet again. Thank you for your nice message.
Lisa